Welcome to the Self Care & Love Special Edition! Yes, yes, I know what today really is--and Happy Valentine's Day to everyone celebrating! But I felt like this could also be a day when one can feel the love from any direction, especially from yourself.
So this issue is filled with articles (only 10min worth!), terms and tips intended to give you a glimpse into your own needs and your ability to meet those needs. Because if you're reading this, you are the kind of person who other people need and depend on. You play an important role and voice at your nonprofit and more than ever you need to love yourself enough to unwind, reconnect and recharge. And I'm honored to help if I can.
"To experience peace does not mean that your life is always blissful. It means that you are capable of tapping into a blissful state of mind amidst the normal chaos of a hectic life. " – Jill Bolte Taylor
MY FAVORITE ARTICLES THIS WEEK
Self-care matters: Pay yourself first
3 minute read
- Self-care isn't complicated, nor does it have to be. It's often about the simple things: like sometimes saying no, scheduling time for yourself, canceling plans.
- Giving you some solid, simple ideas to consider, Scott Hanselman keeps it short and punchy, helping you pay yourself first before you run out of funds.
- Sometimes it's not really about how you feel right now, but how you want to feel in the first place.
- Explained in expert detail, Cayla Vidmar gives you the keys to drive to your own place of want and need by thinking about 3 simple questions that contain powerful answers.
Control Your Phone. Don't Let It Control You.
3 minute read
- Did you know the average person spends 1/3 of their time awake on their phone? That time almost doubles if you use your phone for any work. Thats. Insane. But... true for me as well.
- Delivered by Common Sense Media, they are offering a few tips that sounds so smart, so insane, and so important in this day and age with smartphones often eclipsing our own intelligence once you realize we often recharge them more than we recharge ourselves.
NEW NONPROFIT LEXICON
We all know the classic nonprofit terms and definitions, but what happens when we need new ones? So Team Rhinocorn likes to suggest new thoughtful or playful terms we think need introduced into the new nonprofit lexicon.
Noun | To take a brief break from the norm to indulge in something special away from your desk.
"I had been working 7 hours straight on finalizing this spreadsheet and I realized I just needed a small breakawaycation - I took a 20min walk around the block, listened to a little 90's hip-hop and enjoyed my favorite candy bar."
Pay complete attention to something you usually do on autopilot - making breakfast, brushing your teeth, driving, eating, or even just breathing.
Edit your social media feeds, and take out any negative people. You can just “mute” them; you don’t have to delete them.
Get down and dance like you just don't care. Put on your favorite song or album and shake what your mama gave you.