Let the record show, this wasn't a lean-reading week, it was a lean-stuff-worth-reading week. Too many articles that were OK at best or fairly terrible. A bummer indeed, but we still read several worth sharing and worth your time.
You might be asking yourself, "What makes something worth sharing?" For us, its a mixture of well-written, compelling, smart and insightful reads. It doesn't always have to be explosive or future-forward, but should make you go "Hm. Ok. Wow." And should make you want to share it or leave you feeling informed.
So this week? Enjoy what made the cut. And if you find info or articles you think should make The Rundown, tell us. We can find crap all by ourselves, so pass on anything you think is great.
- Wait. Ok, no, this isn't about nonprofits, but trust us when we tell you the tips completely transcend industry genre.
- All the tips are fantastic, but the 3rd tip from the Business Guru Club is our favorite - survey people. Why? Because how many times have you heard someone say "I wish we knew what our donors were thinking..." Ask them. No. Seriously. Why just keep guessing? Survey, Survey, Survey.
- 2 MIN READ
- Spoiler Alert: this article is about fake news, but it is not fake.
- The lovely Katie Owens does a fantastic job at breaking down the hot topic of "fake news" in a really real way that will make you feel smart and empowered.
- It's not tailored to the nonprofit world, but it's still applicable to a variety of industries and a really solid read on the subject.
- 3 MIN READ
- Our love should be your love... oh sure, it hasn't been updated in several years but nothing brings us as much joy as this smart gif-based blog that showcases the strife and struggles of nonprofit life.
- You will laugh, you will cry, you will clutch your chest in agreement, sipping wine by the boxfull knowing you are not alone.
- TAKE AS MUCH TIME AS YOU NEED
- Uh-Oh... Does your nonprofit receive donations from the PayPal Giving Fund? Were they supposed to? Unsure all together? That's kinda what this lawsuit is all about.
- As the article explains, thousands of people felt confused or misled about donations to charities who were also confused or misled about receiving those donations.
- Why this matters... your nonprofit might be owed money and didn't even know it. Check the article link and then PayPay themselves to learn how to discover if you are owed money.
- 3 MIN READ
"The lowest form of popular culture - lack of information, misinformation, disinformation, and a contempt for the truth or the reality of most people's lives - has overrun real journalism. Today, ordinary Americans are being stuffed with garbage."
Carl Bernstein - investigative journalist and author