As most people do, I start my webinars and workshops by telling people a little bit about myself. Among the classic background and skill details, I always make sure to mention two important things folks need to know before we begin: I know they are a unique flower and I am not a psychic.
While I appreciate the laughs this always brings, I do this to remind everyone there are over 1.5M nonprofits in the US. And even the best of best practices or strategies will require a little modification or editing at the individual level based on their unique needs. Now, that doesn't mean we're not used to seeing some of the same trends, myths and problems among us all, that's for sure.
So this week, I'm still acknowledging your uniqueness and my inability tell the future, but like humanity, we are often more alike than different. So enjoy a few article that really speaks to that truth. You'll laugh, you'll cry, but moreover you'll feel connected to your peers - no matter how unique you really are.
- You know how Icy-Hot is both hot and cold? Both soothing and invasive? This is the Ice-Hot of nonprofit articles. The whole time you're going Yes! Exactly! Thank you! But you'll also frown, then smile, probably cheer and certainly growl - but for all the right reasons.
- Thank you to US News & World Report and Alison Green for knowing the truth 6 years ago and for this article making the rounds again to remind us.
- But with a 6 year old article in mind? We need to work harder to make these myths and truths more effectively known. This article proves it.
- 3 MIN READ
- Grantmakers want to fund us... right? It sure seems so on the surface, but man it sure doesn't once you start to dig into the entire process, sometimes.
- Kris Putnam-Walkerly over at Forbes digs into a few of our least-favorite Grantmaker hurdles with a sense of humor and civility but also with a sense of tact to ask the hard questions in reply. And for that, we're grateful.
- 3 MIN READ
- Any volunteer professional worth their salt knows "free" labor isn't free, but I'm not sure we're also thinking about the costs associated with risk management issues too. And that needs to change for the safety and security of our volunteers, our organizations and the profession at large.
- Tobi Johnson makes addressing this difficult issue simple, with a 7 step process to develop a plan to address your unique needs.
- 3 MIN READ
Are you an Engagement Professional? A Development professional, volunteer manager, program managers, communications professional or executive leader? Then this webinar is for you.
- Join me for a free webinar on August 3rd at 2pm EST to learn how your nonprofit can build their own Nonprofit Partnership Advancement model to take control back of your corporate and private partnerships.
THIS WEEK'S BURNING QUESTION:
What nonprofit myth makes you laugh the hardest?